so Marvin ended up defecating this morning on his own- 15 failed attempts and 2 vomiting episodes (probably from straining) he went
I was meeting with his primary vet today anyway because of his diabetes so no emer visit for him; we gave him an extra dose of Miralax to help
Of course after I said this a few days ago now Marvin is pretty backed up. Anyone know any good tricks? Marvin has gone into the box about 6 times in an hour and hasn’t produced anything. Going to try an additional dose of miralax.
He’s doing well today. Better energy and seemed more like his old self. Eating low/no carb wet food, drinking plenty of water. Believe me, I asked the same question and our vet said he’ll be ok until our appt. She’s a great vet who knows Marvin well 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
we have our consult with the vet scheduled for 3pm on Monday 9/25, so holding tight about buying anything so far until we discuss Marvin's treatment plan, etc. as recommended by our vet
just feel bad for him as he's tired and somewhat lethargic, just trying to keep him eating wet food and...
Marvin is currently really good about wet food, he's getting probably about 90/10 wet/dry at the moment (he likes a little dry food to snack on in the middle of the night) so I don't think that will be a problem. We're currently giving him mostly TikiCat and Sheba pate' wet foods, but also some...
yes, he refused to go in the box with just the thin layer of NOSORB on the bottom (tried holding him in the box and he even meowed)
but I like your idea about burying a container with the non absorbent litter in a typical spot for peeing, I hadn't thought of that
So we were given a kit with non-absorbing litter (NOSORB) in order to capture a urine sample. Well Marvin didn't go for it. Anybody have some suggestions? Can you buy the non-absorbing litter from any pet stores? Sucks because now the ability to continue his testing is basically stuck.
nope, we're continuing the process as recommended by our vet- we'll be harvesting urine at home and returning to the veterinarian office where they will test it
I'm just trying to be proactive in getting ahead with the information available in this forum!
once the urinary test results come back, we'll be discussing with the vet an action plan for Marvin; my fingers are crossed that we'll only need dietary changes at this time
until his brother passed away 6 weeks ago, he had been given treats daily because of the process we were going through...
Vet just called back; his glucose level was 450 when the blood was drawn (now, this occurred after a few other things going on at the time during his appointment... he had his anal glands expressed, he received a vaccination, etc.) and since this is right on the border for pre-diabetic, we need...
I presume this included dietary changes and your administration of insulin? I'm likely on the verge of a diabetic diagnosis so I'm trying to wrap my head around information and other guardians' experiences.
16yr old Marvin just had routine bloodwork completed apart of annual comprehensive examination and they detected high glucose level. We'll be following up with a urine test to confirm, but I presume this will more than likely confirm he has diabetes. He is/has been an overweight cat for most...